We are looking for a musician to accompany our 10:00 AM Sunday service, primarily on the piano with occasional work on the organ as abilities and interest provide.
The duties involve:
+ Practicing all hymns and service music, made available by the Rector on Tuesday AM
+ Meeting the Rector at 9:00 AM Sunday to review the service
+ Organizing a small pick-up choir or soloists to meet at 9:30 AM or after service, as needed
In addition to Sunday morning service, the musician will be hired to accompany extra services during Lent, Holy Week and Christmas.
In addition, the musician will generally be offered right of first refusal for weddings, funerals or other community services that take place at Church of Our Saviour, subject to the discretion of the Rector.
Compensation for a standard Sunday is $200 firm.
Our organ is an 11-rank custom pipe organ by Steve Hermes, a boutique organ builder in the Boston area. It is currently maintained by Dick Pelland. The tonal palette of the organ is surveyed at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXukExNRNtA
Our piano is a turn-of-the-century 4’11” Hallet & Davis, unrestored, but well maintained. It is voiced very brightly, and in the resonant sanctuary it requires a judicious and careful touch even with the lid closed.
The Psalm Drummers, led by parishioner Ann Hunt, is a pickup group of children and adults that hold an African-style drum- circle, periodically playing in the worship service.
Personal Attributes Desired
• Knowledge of sacred music, hymns, gospel music, world music, piano and organ repertoire, and willingness to learn Episcopal liturgical practices
• Performance experience and improvisational skills
• Experience directing pick-up choirs that include people with limited musical literacy
• Must be comfortable with unpolished work, and able to teach with generosity
• Works well with children
• Integrity, kind & caring personality, works well with others, patient, positive attitude and good listening skills
• Able to communicate with Rector during liturgy, and to pay attention to the needs of the congregation in order to support their singing
• Willing to “let the congregation go” when the Spirit moves them to sing extemporaneously and unaccompanied
The candidate selected for this position will be asked to submit to a criminal offender records (CORI) check and be paid to take an online safety course.
To apply: Send a cover letter demonstrating alignment of your work history and experience with the responsibilities of this position and the qualifications identified, together with a resume and two references, by e-mail to email@example.com.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
As a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts, Church of Our Saviour does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. The church complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.